Thursday, December 17, 2009

Spam Musubi Recipe

("pronounced moo-soo-bee, with no accent")


I know, I know - Spam!?
Well, I happen to like it (sliced thin and fried crispy with a little mustard to dip it in - yum!), but I know most people think "yew, yuck!" when Spam is mentioned.

But Spam Musubi is so good!
Really!
Trust me!

Even if you think, "ain't no way am I eating that ___", just give it a try - you might like it!

Spam Musubi is eaten in Hawaii - in fact, do you know Hawaiians eat more Spam than anyone else in the world?!
Neat little fact.
It's like a sandwich in Hawaii too, and it's sold everywhere - even convenient stores.
And it's so easy to make - ya gotta love that!


History of Spam

"Hawaiians have a love affair with Spam - they eat it as a delicacy, adding it to soups and stews, treating it as a side dish for breakfast, and enjoying it as the main event for lunch and dinner. Residents of Hawaii consume more Spam than populations anywhere else in the world: More than four million cans every year, or an average twelve cans of Spam per person per year. In fact, Hawaii is so well associated with Spam that Hormel even introduced a limited edition "Hawaii" can in 2003.

The Hormel Company, in Austin, Minnesota, developed America's first canned ham in 1926. After the ham's were cut, the company was left with thousands of pounds of nearly worthless pork shoulder. Jay C. Hormel, son of Hormel founder George A. Hormel, developed the ideas of using the pork shoulder in a new product called "Hormel Spiced Ham." Since the name was rather uninspiring, a contest was hehld at a new year's Eve party for a new name with a $100 prize to the winner. The winning name was the name it goes by today - Spam. Kenneth Daigneau, an actor and the brother of a Hormel vice president Ralph Daigeau, won the contest.

During World War II, sales of Spam soared. In part because it requires no refrigeration, Spam was perfect for the military and became a standard K-ration for U.S. soldiers. Military personnel introduced it in Hawaii and elsewhere."




Below is my favorite way of cooking Spam Musubi, but people cook it so many different ways.
Just Google "Spam Musubi recipe" and around 12,300 hits will pop up!

Well - 12,301 now!

Ingredients:
Spam (smaller can)
1 cup (dry) Jasmine rice
Nori
Rice wine
Soy sauce
Sugar (I like organic cane sugar) or honey
1 tbsp (or more!) minced Garlic

{Optional: grated ginger, sesame seed oil, onions, Chinese 5 spice, teriyaki sauce, or whatever else you'd like to toss in the brew! For something different, sprinkle
furikake on the rice before adding the cooked Spam!}

Start the rice.

Here it is in all it's freaky pinkish glory!
Slice it up - for a small can of Spam, I get five slices. But this really depends on how thick you like it.
Did you notice I didn't give amounts for anything other than the rice and garlic?
It's because I do it all by taste.
Start with about 1/2 cup of the rice wine, soy sauce and sugar.
Mix it together, add the garlic and any extra optional ingredients.
Then taste test and add more of each ingredient as needed.



Put the Spam slices in the mixture and marinate until the rice is cooked (or around 30 minutes).
Before browning the Spam slices, get as much of the mixture to drip off before adding them to the pan.
Then just put the mixture aside for now.
Brown on medium-high heat according to your tastes - I like 'em dark!
Add the mixture to the pan - and immediately turn the heat down to low, 'cause it's going to boil like crazy!
Let it cook for a few minutes before taking the pan off the heat.
Leave the Spam in the pan.



Using a pair of scissors, cut the Nori into strips - the width depends on you, I use the lines on the Nori as my guide.

{Some people don't like the taste of Nori, and in that case you could use soy wraps instead. You can find them at your local Asian Market.}

You'll need to position the mold in the center and near the end of the Nori strip. I do it like this, but do it whatever way works bests for you.

{I have a neat little acrylic Musubi mold for my rice. But if you can't find one at your local Asian Market, try cutting off the ends on both sides of the Spam can and use it as your mold. Or just mold the rice with your hands. Using a Spam can or your hands will be kinda messy - so be prepared!}

Dump a bit of rice in your mold, and press down
firmly.
Remove the mold and add a slice of yummy Spam.
Fold over the Nori, put a tiny bit of water on your finger then run it across the Nori to seal it.



All done!

Delicious!!

Wrap your leftovers in plastic wrap and refrigerate. Pop in the microwave for a few seconds to warm up and soften the rice since it'll get a little hard sitting in the ice box.



Happy Holidays!



StumbleUpon.com

9 comments:

courtneycourtney said...

i love musubi!!! Looks delish :D

SugarandSpice said...

OOOOOOHHHHHH I love spam. Going to try it for sure:)

Katie said...

A girl after my own heart!!! I lived in Hawaii for a few years and this was my fave! They sold it at 7-Eleven and all the grocery stores. I always tell my husband that spam and rice is the breakfast of champions, LOL! Your pictures are making me hungry! Check out my new post, finished some new gifts :)

Kelly O. said...

looks good--make me some?

nope said...

hey angie...i got your comment over on my swiffer wet jet tutorial. thanks for swiping my button. :) i took one of yours.

-krista

Marjorie said...

Yum! That looks sooo good!

marisa said...

We make it all the time! We have the same mold too but you can use a butter dish top if you don't have a mold!

stef et sa belette said...

hummmmmmm !!!! I will try ! sur !

Nishant said...

Your pictures are making me hungry! Check out my new post, finished some new gifts :)

Work from home India

Related Posts with Thumbnails