Monday, December 28, 2009

Fleece Hat and Sock Mittens


I found the cutest
free fleece hat (w/flaps) tutorial at Kitschy Coo and finally got around to make one for Serenity.

The tutorial was very easy to follow and Serenity's Strawberry Shortcake hat came together fast. The only thing I did differently was add the braided ties on the ends of the flaps. I measured 6 strips 1"w x 10"l to make the braids and applied the same technique as the pom-poms on top of the hat. Very simple.


Then I made some little sock mittens. I wanted some mittens for Serenity that didn't limit her mobility too much. It doesn't get so cold down here that she really needs thick mittens everyday (although you could put thick mittens over these for extra warmth). So, I made these using a pair of long socks I got on sale at Target last week. You can use old socks, thrift store finds, or even mismatched ones. Since I wanted Serenity to wear these mitts mostly for play, it doesn't really matter if they don't match!

The mittens were quick to put together, but knits can be hard to work with - I still need lots of practice! I made plenty of mistakes sewing these tiny mitts together, but in the end, they are what I had in mind and I like how they turned out.


1. Basically I just traced Serenity's hand to make a pattern. Don't add seam allowances to the pattern.
2. Then I pinned the pattern to the top of a pair of socks - I stretched the sock to get it to fit the pattern, I wanted the mittens to fit snug. It's okay if one side of the pattern is on a fold - you'll have less to sew!
3. Next I sewed it along the edge - you can used a zig-zag stitch or a straight stitch. Use a long stitch since it makes it easier to sew knit, and sew slowly.



I think I got the hang of it - the next pair will be much easier!
Now I wonder what I'm going to do with the rest of the sock?


I love her cute fleece hat too!
Head over to Kitschy Coo to see how I made it!


Happy Holidays!



The Girl CreativeDIY Day @ ASPTL

StumbleUpon.com

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the hat! I just put on whole gloves as mittens. I like your idea better. I featured this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

Kim said...

AWWW!!!! I had to wait on my sewing machine until later this year... I LOVE THIS THOUGH!!!!! SO cool!

Joyeful said...

That hat is too much fun! And I think your little princess had fun modeling it, too! How adorable!

Chic Mommy said...

I just wanted to stop by and say that i love your blog and that I've shared an award for you. I look forward to more great projects in the new year.

http://craftychicmommy.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-first-blog-award.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails