Monday, December 14, 2009

Felt Cell Phone Case


I made this felt case for my Blackberry (and iPhone would fit too), using Juicy Bits' free Owl ornament pattern. I just used it as an applique for the front of my felt case.

1. First I cut out 2 pieces of tan felt 4" w x 5" l, then folded one piece in half lengthwise and cut a small curve along the top.


2. Next, I attached the applique (using felt, buttons and fabric), to the piece of felt with the curvy top.
Use whatever stitch you'd like - I'm still learning so I just did something simple, but it would be interesting with a few fancy stitches.

3. Then I cut two pieces of matching cotton material for the lining - the same size as the tan felt. I ironed a "hem" at the top to give it a more finished look, but I think it would look good pinked too.

4. Finally, I pinned the whole thing together, and then hand sewed a blanket stitch around the edges.

All done!

I purchased the felt from American Felt & Craft. It's an excellent online store and shipping was very fast!

I used bamboo felt for the owl. Bamboo felt is so soft! It's also expensive - so I used a sample pack I ordered for $5. It's wonderful to work with and the colors are beautiful and bright.

The case is a wool/rayon felt blend (75¢/piece). American Felt & Craft has tons of beautiful colors to choose from too! It's not as soft as bamboo felt (of course), but it's still great to work with - much better than the craft felt I've been using!

The case doesn't fit my Blackberry as snug as I'd like it to, so next time I'll make it a little smaller, maybe 3 1/2"w x 4 3/4"l instead.

Even using the nicer wool/rayon felt blend and bamboo felt, this project is cheap. And simple. It would be a cute present for Christmas and Birthdays. I think older kids would enjoying making these for their parents and friends - or themselves!



Happy Holidays!



DIY Day @ ASPTL

StumbleUpon.com

4 comments:

Katie said...

Cute!!! I may use that applique for a shirt or onesie. I've got to get going on my niece's Christmas gifts. Did you ever get the email I sent you? I remember you saying you wanted pictures of the apron I made and emailed it a few days back.

Cole's Corner said...

Thank you so much for the link! Those are super cute. I may have to add those to my Christmas to-do list!

Dena Pickle said...

you are just too creative!

Angie Holden said...

Thanks for sharing -- I love that owl!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails