Saturday, August 15, 2009

Jambalaya Recipe

I decided to share my super-secret, best-in-the-world, blue ribbon award winning authentic jambalaya recipe.

Okay, okay.
Maybe it didn't win a blue ribbon... it might not be the "best-in-the-world"... and it's not
exactly a secret since my Mother-In-Law showed me how to cook it this way years ago, but I can pretend, right?!

I
do make a pretty darn good Jambalaya though - and I ain't the only one who says so - so it's gotta be true!Mmmmm....

Click on a picture to ZOOM in.

Here's what 'cha gonna need:
5 or 6 onions (around 20 oz. chopped)
Dash of Tony C's
Slightly less than 1/4 cup Olive Oil
3 cups dry rice (I like Jasmine)
Water
Meat


You can use how much and whatever type of meat you want.
Sausage, pork chops,
crawfish, chicken, shrimp, it doesn't really matter.
Leftovers from a BBQ you had the day before is always delicious too!
I use a good bit 'cause we like a Jambalaya with a lot of meat in it.


Start the rice.

Turn the burner on high heat.
Pour the olive oil in the wok (or pot).

We made the switch to olive oil a few years ago since it's much healthier than other oils.

It's more expensive than the rest, so we've tried to cut back on fried foods too.
Do I need to tell you how hard that is in the South?
Everything seems to be deep fried down here!
It's a small change, but it's a start!

POST-IT NOTE:
I use a wok for several reasons:
It's big.
It can handle intense, constant heat.
Onions won't stick to a well-seasoned wok.

I bought my cast iron wok from The Wok Shop in San Francisco.
Great store and shipping was quick!
You don't need a wok to cook a jambalaya, any big pot you have will be good.
---------------

Add the onions.
Flip the onions every once in a while so they all brown nicely.



While that's cooking, chop up the meat.
Set it aside.



You're going to "smother" the onions, and they'll take around a hour to cook - at the very least.
Don't rush this process.
The secret to a good jambalaya is lots of onions and the color of the onions.
If you mess up them up, you'll have to throw them out and start all over.
Been there done that - not good.
So make sure to keep a close eye on them!

After the onions have browned a bit, add about 1/2 cup of water, stir until the onions are clear and the water gets darker.


Cook all the water out, and brown the onions again.

Add 1/2 cup water like you did the in the previous step.


Keep doing the last two steps over and over until the onions get a dark caramel color (the darker the better!).

Add 1 cup of water and stir.
Throw all the meat in the wok, and a few dashes of Tony C's.
Stir.

If you don't have Tony's, then you can try any seasoned spice, like Lawry's or Old Bay.
I haven't personally tried these, but both are good spices so it should work just fine.


Cover, put the burner on medium, and cook for 15 minutes.


Turn the burner down to low heat, add half the rice and fold it into the mixture.


Add the rest of the rice to the Jambalaya.
Turn off your burner.
The jambalaya might be a little "wet", but it'll dry up pretty quick.



All done! It's enough to feed a small army.
Eat and enjoy!



POST-IT NOTE:
There are two different kinds of jambalaya - a "red" one and a "brown" one.
I prefer to make a brown jambalaya.
To make a red Jambalaya, you add tomatoes and tomato paste.


Have fun!


StumbleUpon.com

2 comments:

Gina said...

Oh my goodness! That looks like something I could do, although the Tony C's I would have to look up on Ebay. Visiting from the Green bean's and love the recipies! Gina

Katie said...

That looks and sounds SOOO good! I wish I had a wok. Also,I've never seen Tony C's, is that something they only carry in the South?

Related Posts with Thumbnails