Thursday, August 13, 2009

At The Beach


Serenity and I took a trip to Port Fourchon today to visit my husband Terry before his boat headed back to the Gulf.

In the picture above, you can see oil rigs in the distance, and up closer is a big boat trawling for shrimp. The birds perched on the boat and the ones following, are waiting around for scraps when the trawlers "pick the shrimp" - that's when the catch is hauled up and fish, crabs, and anything else that isn't a shrimp gets thrown back - and that's when the birds strike!

FOOD FIGHT!

POST-IT-NOTE: Here's a pretty gross thing I wanna share. My husband's family has a trawl boat - it's not as big as the one in the picture, but not small either. Anyway years ago, my husband and I used to go trawling to earn a some extra money. I would bring my little cousins and my baby sister (they are all now 21 and 22 years old) and they would help "pick the shrimp". It can get pretty boring and it's back-breaking work bending over that picking box. But kids will be kids. Most of the time they played around. One of the things they had fun doing - would actually laugh their little butts off about, was to take the small blowfish and (WARNING: this is GROSS) put it's mouth next to their lips and blow into the fish's mouth before throwing it back into the water! Why? The the fish would blow up like a balloon and then FLOAT!


Here's a couple pictures of Serenity having fun playing in the sand!





Have fun!

StumbleUpon.com

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Soooo cute. The girl is a walking photo op. Love the photos of the trawler and oil rigs. I dig that kind of stuff! I'm all over Modern Marvels....

Related Posts with Thumbnails