Thursday, August 13, 2009

25¢ Crayola Crayons

Wal-Mart is having their back-to-school sale, and I got 20 boxes of Crayola crayons (24 count) for only 25¢ a box!

I'm planning to try one of the many "make your own crayons" online tutorials.

I've been checking out different gadgets to melt the crayons.

I like the nifty melting pot Lady Gil blogs about, but the Amazon rating isn't all that great. It has a pouring issue and that kinda defies the purpose of the gadget, don't ya think?

Instead, I'm sure my good ol' fashion Lodge casting iron melting pot will work just fine! But I wonder if those chocolate melting pots would work?

I could just put broken pieces of crayons in the mold and pop 'em in the oven. I've seen several tutorials instructing to do it that way.

Hmmm... that may just be the easiest, quickest, and least messiest method.
But then I don't get to buy or use a neat gadget!

Oh well...

I also ordered the number and alphabet ice/baking silicone trays from Amazon.com to use as molds.

I think a bunch of "3's" and "S's" would make great party favors for Serenity's 3rd birthday party. It's a couple of months away, but why pass up 25¢ Crayons?

Anybody wanna help me peel the labels off almost 500 crayons?

Have fun!

StumbleUpon.com

2 comments:

Crafterella said...

I love making recycled crayons and I have a few tips, Ashley is right use and exacto knife to slit the papers to remove them, just melt the crayons in your molds, if you melt and then pour them into the colors will turn to mud! If you want them to be colorful to color with don't mix all the colors together, group them by colors red/purple, blue/green, and orange/yellow. If you want to see how my crayon making went check this link: http://crafterella.blogspot.com/search?q=recycled+crayons and good luck!

Angie - treasuresfortots@gmail.com said...

Thanks for the tip and the link. I think I'll give that a try!

Related Posts with Thumbnails