Thursday, August 27, 2009

Crochet Butterfly Pattern


You can use any size hook or type of yarn.
Experiment to change the look and size of your butterfly.


Abbreviations:
sl st = slip stitch
ch = chain
bl = back loop
sc = single crochet
dc = double crochet
tr = triple crochet


Butterfly Pattern:
Ch. 5 loosely
3 dc in 3rd ch from hook; ch 2 sl st in same ch
sl st in next ch; ch 3, 2 tr st in same ch
2 tr st in next ch, ch 3, sl st in same ch


Working in the back loops:
ch 3, 2 tr st in first bl
2 tr st in next bl, ch 3, sl st in same bl
sl st in next bl, ch 2, 3 dc, ch 2, sl st in same bl



Working up the center:
Evenly space 3 sc up the center.


Pull the yarn up a little for the antennae and tie into a small knot, then cut off the loop.


Fasten off and weave in the ends.


You can add tiny rhinestones to the butterflies (or not!) and attach them to lots of different things:

sewn on clothes
a magic wand accessory
a hair clip
a hair pin
or
on a long or short crocheted chain (or ribbon) for a necklace or ring for your Darling Stinker!


I've been crocheting for over 25 years, but this is the first crochet pattern I've written down for others to follow.
It may not be completely error-free.
If you have any questions, please email me.

POST-IT-NOTE:
My crochet hook came from The Fanciful Feline on Etsy.
I love Jenn's pretty hooks, plus they are comfortable to use.
I almost have an entire set!


For another cute crocheted butterfly pattern, check out this quick and easy butterfly by Crocheted Sass.


One of the bestest helpful crochet books I've ever read is The Crochet Answer Book.
It will help you with practically any crochet problem and answer just about anything to do with crocheting.
It doesn't matter if you're an experienced crocheter or a beginner - this is an awesome reference book!
Plus, it's small enough to slip in your purse.


POST-IT-NOTE 2:
I would like give a HUGE thank you to 10marifet.org for linking this post.


Have fun!





StumbleUpon.com

14 comments:

Polka Dot Moon said...

those are soooo cute! wish I could crochet :)

Marjorie said...

So cute! Thanks for sharing the pattern!

Anonymous said...

Way cute! Thank you!

Tretha said...

Hi, Very cute and useful DIY. I am quite eager try it out myself. Thanks!

Leslie said...

Thank you so much for this pattern! I just finished a newborn sized beret last night and was trying to figure out what to embellish it with. Your butterfly, the symbol of hope, is perfect for Amara's new hat! Thanks so much!

courtneycourtney said...

Oh the possibilities!!!
Applique them on the skirt??
Fantastic work Angela!

Nuttygirl said...

They are so cute! I want to make them for a headband or dress or something for my little girl. And that is a crochet project I will actually be able to finish. Since anything larger usually just sits around half done . . .

Lucy R. Fisher said...

Can't wait to try that.

Brigitte said...

awesome. I saw the same butterfly you did and wanted the pattern. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much!! This is exactly what I was looking for. I have already embellished a baby cardigan and a baby dress with your pretty butterflies. Thank you again for sharing with us.

Anonymous said...

These are adorable and for a first-time pattern....Perfect. Keep up the good work! I wanted to embellish one crochet and one knit eyeglass case with a butterfly because it is this years theme of a group I belong to. I made the cases for the ladies in our group that are now in a nursing home. I think they will be very pleased with them. I can think of about a million uses for these butterflies. Thank you so much for posting this.

Anonymous said...

I am attempting this but cannot make it look as good as yours. Any tips on what yarn and hook size works best? I want to place them on my prayer shawls I am making for grieving mommys. Check out my blog butterfly kisses from heaven. THanks!!
Lisa

Sara @ My Merry Messy Life said...

Thank you for this pattern! I posted a link to it on my blog as I used it to attach to a purse for a little girl. It is so easy!
http://www.mymerrymessylife.com/2012/03/crochet-girl-purse-with-flowers-free.html

Lee Ann said...

These little butterflies are cute, thanks for posting these and the directions! :)

______
Lee Ann H
Crochet...Gotta Love It! Blog
Crochet...Gotta Love It! Website (crochet names and rosary patterns)

Related Posts with Thumbnails