Monday, January 16, 2012

DIY Fabric Organizers


These are super easy to make and won't cost you a dime!


I first saw fabric organizers over at The Cottage Home:

Aren't they great?
But so expensive!
$131.62 for 75 large (10" x 14") organizers!
I have a lot of fabric and I just can't afford to wrap my whole collection.

Then I found a DIY fabric organizers using cardboard from Kandra's Corner.

Nice!

She used rubberbands to secure the fabric, but I really liked the tabs on the expensive ones:

I  wanted to make my own using tabs not rubberbands or pins.
So I grabbed an Amazon box to "upcycle" and started cutting!

I tried out a few ways  to position the tabs that would hold the fabric in place, but I ran into a problem.
You can't cut too many tabs like the expensive organizers because the cardboard becomes weak and floppy. 
So then I tried only two tabs in the center. 
It worked great!

Here's how I made my fabric organizers:

Materials:
fabric
cardboard
X-Acto or sharp knife


Cut out a board 7 1/2" w x 11 1/2" l
Using a X-Acto or a very sharp knife, cut one tab 2" from the top in the center of the board.
Flip the board around and cut out another tab the same way.
Look at the picture for reference:

Start wrapping the fabric around the board:

When you've finished wrapping, pop out the tabs to secure the fabric.

That's it!
It will stack on shelves just as neatly as the fabric organizers too.
It's not as pretty as the expensive ones, but it is free.
You could spray paint the cardboard to match your sewing room - one can of paint would cover a lot of boards.

Here's the front of the organizer:

I read on Kandra's Corner that she's using comic book boards now.
I believe some people were worried the cardboard (she actually used tag board) wasn't acid-free.

So with a little searching, I found 100 magazine boards (8 1/2" x 11") for only $12.45 on Amazon - plus free shipping!
The boards on Amazon have only one preview - from a lady that is using them as fabric organizers!

I'm hoping I can cut tabs on them without the board becoming weak.
Maybe narrower tabs?
The tabs on the expensive boards appears to be more narrow than the ones I made. 
I'll be sure to update with pictures when I've tried the magazine boards!

Have fun!

StumbleUpon.com

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Those look great! Wonderful job!!

Lindsay

Angie - treasuresfortots@gmail.com said...

Thank you so much! I really love your studio - so many great things you used to organize everything - everything looks so neat and tidy! I especially love your fabulous fabric collection!

Kathie M. said...

Great Idea!! :D

Kathie M. said...

http://mmscrapshoppe.blogspot.com/2012/01/fabric-storage-for-150.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheScrapShoppe+%28The+Scrap+Shoppe%29

Just thought I would share this blog that was using the same idea!! :D

Angie - treasuresfortots@gmail.com said...

Thank you Kathie stopping by and for linking. Her tutorial is very similar to mine, except that I cut tabs into my pieces of cardboard. I actually didn't come up with the idea - I found it online (you can find the links on the post) and I thought it was the perfect solution to organizing all my fabric and free up a ton of space too!

Jen C. said...

Genius! What a great idea, and bravado for trying your hand it making it yourself! My material is stacked in cardboard boxes; time to cut the cardboard and use it differently! Thanks for sharing!

Pam said...

I have purchased two sets of the fabric organizers and have to say that I do LOVE them but the price not so much. I had read a few weeks back about someone using Comic boards so I looked for them at Hobby Lobby last week but didn't find any. Can't wait to see what you think of the magazine boards.

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

This is such a great idea and can I say they just look so pretty all lined up! I am a new follower visiting from Blue Cricket Design.Vicky from Mess For Less

Anonymous said...

i get foam boards at the dollar general. there where the poster boards and all the school supplies are just cut with sharp knife to right size and wrap fabric and get jumbo paper clips a nice and neat. thank you.

Rachel said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing :)

Unknown said...

What a great idea! I am so going to try this! I do not want to spend over $100 for the organizers, at least not until I save for it! lol. I will try this, though I'd have to find boxes. I might just order the comic book dividers though. Thanks for the idea! btw: just found your blog and I am now a new follower! If you'd like, please pass by my blog and follow along if you'd like! Fellow sewer and fashion design major here:)

Reyna
http://www.glamglory.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

We are a military family with tons of boxes to spare. Glad I found a new use for them! For those looking for free boxes, liquor stores have sturdy boxes for free :)

Unknown said...

I use the boards from Polar Notions to wrap my fabric, they are a bit expensive but a wonderful reusable hard plastic.
I also have tons of fabric, so it was costly but beautiful.

Gloria said...

I use the comic book boards and secure the fabric to them with painters masking tape that leaves no residue.. I stand them up in a 72" tall utility cabinet with doors that I got for about 100.00 at walmart. They look nice and the doors keep them from fading issues and dust. It is about 12" deep and stores lots of fabric.

Related Posts with Thumbnails