Thursday, December 10, 2009

Felt Gingerbread House Applique


I made this Gingerbread applique using eco-fi felt.
Eco-fi felt is mad
e using recycled plastic bottles by the Kunin Group.
It's machine washable, fade-resistant and won't fray.
You can also
iron it and it won't shrink or melt.
You'd think it would melt since a
fter all, it is made from plastic bottles.
But nope - it won't!
When I read all that about eco-fi felt, I thought it would be excellent for t-shirt appliques.

I made Serenity's pretty Gingerbread house applique based on this one from Cole's Corner and Creations.
I sewed the rick-rack, buttons, and door onto the house before creating the applique.
I used some no-sew Heat 'n Bond to make an applique out of the house, roof and the little heart.
Then I just iron it all to the shirt on medium heat - no steam.

Instead of sewing, you could embroidery all kinds of pretty embellishments on the Gingerbread house before turning it into an applique.
The roof would look pretty with sequins sewn on or glitter added.
There are so many creative possibilities with this project!

It took me around 30 minutes to complete - easy!
And pretty cheap too!
I paid $4.99 for Serenity's shirt at Target.
The eco-fi felt is around 35¢ at Wal-Mart and as you can see, I didn't use all that much to make the applique.
I used buttons and some Heat 'n Bond I already had, and about three inches of rick-rack.

Total price?
Less than $5.50!

How cute would this be for Christmas presents?

Happy Holidays!


DIY Day @ ASPTLDecor Mammagiveawaysgiveawaysmonogram

StumbleUpon.com

10 comments:

Katie said...

So so cute! Great work :)I love appliques! Just finished a Christmas top and onesie for my girls...

crystal_crtr2 said...

That is super cute!! I might have to make one of these for Jenna to wear to school the last Friday before Christmas break.

Valerie said...

So, so cute! Got you filed-again!-at thecraftersfilebox.com. Thanks for sharing!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

What a great project - thanks for the idea!

Lori said...

What a cute idea! I've never appliqued, but perhaps someday.

Katie said...

Oh such cuteness, and the shirt's pretty sweet too:) Seriously, I've seen applique stuff before but never with felt. I've always worried about it fraying, if I use the iron on stuff, since I am not much of a sewer. Happily I have tons of that felt on hand already, because I love crafting with felt. May have to try this, the gingerbread house it too cute.

annies home said...

love it the gingerbread house is super cute

Serendipity said...

That picture is so cute! I love the idea of a gingerbread applique, TFS!

Heidi Boos said...

What a sweet way to personalize a simple t-shirt. I love the idea of a gingerbread house! There are so many ways to dress it up like you said. I sure wish I could get brave and just dive into working with being crafty with clothing! Thanks for linking up to the Holly Bloggy Bash!

Amanda said...

Oh my gosh, that is just darling!

Related Posts with Thumbnails