Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Serenity's Dress Recon From A Man's Button Shirt!

I found a really neat & free tutorial on Craftster a while back and finally got around to trying it out tonight.

Cheytown submitted a unique and very helpful picture tutorial that shows you how to deconstruct a man's button shirt, and then reconstruct it into the cutest little toddler sundress. I bookmarked the site and kept telling myself I would find time to make this dress - someday!

Since my husband would never willingly buy, much less wear a button shirt, I picked up a couple of men's long-sleeve button shirts at Goodwill for only $2.99 each over a week ago. I was sick all last week and didn't get to do any projects. I was feeling somewhat better today, so figured I could handle sewing this very easy dress.

I love the results! Serenity likes her new dress too! Here she is wearing it and posing so pretty for me:



After having a little fun playing around with Pioneer Woman's Action Set 1 and Set 2 (both are free) for Photoshop, I got these beautiful results (simply by clicking one button):



Pretty neat, huh? Don't 'cha want to go check out Pioneer Woman's blog now? Ree has her hands full! She lives on a real, honest to gosh ranch, does cooking, photography, gardening, homeschooling AND finds time to create an awesome blog! I'm so impressed and awed by her!

Now back to the pattern! I did some things slightly different than the tutorial, but it's so easy to make you can customize however you want with no problem. I love the little ruffle straps on this dress! Aren't they adorable?

I also found a pattern on Etsy for another style dress using a man's button shirt. It's a PDF pattern called the Poppy Halter Shirt Dress ($8.50) by Lavender Kitty. Pretty! I bought the second shirt at Goodwill to make this dress too. I'll post some pictures when I've finished sewing it.

It's such a cute concept to take one of Daddy's (or Grandpa's) old button shirts and remake it for your little Princess. I've got my eye on my Daddy's wild Hawaiian tropical print shirt I saw him wearing the other day. I think I might snatch it!

UPDATE: Click here for another free tutorial!

Have fun sewing!

StumbleUpon.com

1 comment:

courtneycourtney said...

I LOVE how you put so many ideas and love into each piece. You are so talented and conscientious. Fantastic work!

Related Posts with Thumbnails