Thursday, August 5, 2010

Squinkies! (Birthday Party Favors)

While I was at Target the other day I spotted these (sorry about the blurry photo I took it with my iPhone!):


Squinkies! They are eeney teeny tiny squishy figurines that come in small globes, similar to the ones I put my Fairy Dolls in and that gave me an idea!

I think they would be cute, inexpensive party favors for Serenity's 4th birthday this year! They are very easy and fun to make, so little kids can help too!

For only $8.99, you can get 16 Squinkies, so I think I'll make 8 bracelets and 8 necklaces for a darling jewelry set to put in the birthday party bags.

Serenity's OOAK upcycled dress is handmade by the original courtneycourtney!


Here's what you need to make them:

1MM Stretch Magic cord
Plastic Beads
Squinkies

You can find Stretch Magic and a huge tub of very interesting assorted plastic beads at Michaels. I can't remember the exact price for the beads and cord, but it's not too much.
Wal-Mart is another great place to find inexpensive beads - they have a large selection of plastic pony and assorted beads.
The tub of beads at Michaels is my first pick when making jewelry for kids since it's filled with so many fun shapes! My tub has stars, seahorses, hearts, letters, fish, flowers, seashells, butterflies, giraffes, lions and rhinoceroses!

Next, you'll need to measure off how long you'd like the necklaces and bracelets to be (allow a little extra room for the knot), let your little girl thread the beads on the cord, tie it to a Squinkie globe, and then trim the ends.

The little globes have two tiny holes on the top and bottom so it works out perfectly when you attach the Stretch Magic. I just tied it in a knot and pull tight. You could add a dot of clear nail polish to help secure the knot too.



That's it!
Sweet little accessories for a birthday party, dress up, or anytime - and your little girl will have fun making them for her friends!

Click over Squinkie's website to find more Squinkie fun!

UPDATE:
Check out this cute Squinkies video review by My Name is Momma:




Serenity's OOAK upcycled dress is handmade by the original courtneycourtney!


Have fun!



Birthday Wedding cakes crafts parties http://www.thethriftyhome.comShow and Tell Green

StumbleUpon.com

10 comments:

karina said...

oh!!! our target doesnt have these cute things!!

will be hunting them down... or sending you an order ;)

Becky said...

These are adorable...I need to go to Target now and find some!

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [06 Aug 11:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

Lindsay said...

Thank you! Too cute and I needed an excuse to go to Target today (can you believe that one would ever run out of excuses to go to Target!)

Linda said...

We love our Squinkies !

Donene said...

What a cute idea and I bet the girl's loved them!

janimal said...

Serenity is a total doll. What fun to make that jewelry, and so cute! I'm not in a hurry for my little one to grow up - but I am looking forward to her being old enough for groovy projects like this.

ILikePaperCutting said...

she is just a cutie pie.

Ashlee Marie said...

what fun! My baby girl (3) would LOVE these! Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's!

My Trendy Tykes said...

I featured your Squinkies idea!

http://www.mytrendytykes.com/2010/09/lets-make-squinkies-necklace.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails